Friday 1 February 2008

Who Wants A Piece?

There's this girl that I've known for almost ten years now, ever since she was seventeen in fact, and I've watched her grow, become a young woman and achieve things that many of us only ever dream about.

When I first knew her, she was a fresh faced, free-spirited teenager who loved life and seemed to have a long, bright future ahead of her.

Recently, however, she's taken a wrong turn somewhere and seems to have become trapped in a downward spiral, something I can identify with because I hit something similar in my mid-twenties too, but I managed to get my life back on track and couldn't be happier these days.

I fear that she may not be so lucky, though, and that any currency she once had with her friends and those who claim to have loved her is now worthless.

The most heartbreaking thing, though, is that she has a couple of young kids, two boys, who thanks to her increasingly erratic behaviour she has lost custody of, to her ex-husband. At a time when they need their mother, she is in danger of losing everything, including if she's not careful, her life.

It saddens me that she can't see that the people she is surrounded by, her so called friends, are nothing of the sort. They're willing to sell her out to the highest bidder and rather than try and help her, just seem increasingly amused as to just how low she can sink.

It's like watching a car crash in slow motion, but I can't do anything to help, I don't even know her. I just wish somebody who does would do the right thing, and rescue her from herself.

Otherwise I fear that Miss American Dream will slip into a nightmare from which she'll never wake up.

No comments: