Monday 21 April 2008

Time Theft Auto

A couple of days ago I was reading about an upcoming Xbox 360 game in a magazine and I realised that for the first time in years I am actually genuinely excited about a software release.

I know there was a frenzy surrounding the release of Halo 3 last year, but being as I hadn't played the first two and was barely aware of who the Master Chief even was, I didn't get caught up in all of this, though I did experience it second hand through my good friend Tav who was just about bursting at the seams at thought of getting his hands on the Master Chief again, so to speak.

This year's big event, however, has me in almost the same state of anticipation, and fearing for my social life which I'm sure will be sucked away for several weeks following the 29th April.

I am, of course, talking about the imminent release of Grand Theft Auto IV, the lastest instalment in Rockstar Games' ongoing series in which you play a bad guy (previously either mob related, or a gang-banger from the 'hood) who basically wanders around a huge virtual city being, well, bad in order to climb to the top of his particular shady food chain.

What makes the GTA series so much fun, for me and many others, is that it is just so immersive. Yes there are the missions that you have to complete in order to finish the game, but the larger appeal of the game is that just like in an major city, you can pretty much live your own life.

Want to raise cash by ferrying punters around in a cab? Fine, do it. Want to get a tattoo, or a hair cut, perhaps a wardrobe full of new clothes? No problem, Sir. Want to steal a car and drive around making insane jumps from conveniently placed ramps and mowing down scores of innocent pedestrians? Well that's all possible too!

Of course, the gaming community is well prepared for the Daily Mail, or Anne Diamond to declare that GTA is the worst thing since, well, anything else ever, and that a nation of children (who shouldn't be playing it anyway due to it having an 18 rating) will brainwashed into stealing cars, planes, trains, and ambulances and shooting, beating, and kicking people to death left, right and centre.

All pure bollocks, of course, but when did that ever stop our beloved moral guardians from trying to spoil all our fun?

All I know is that I'm going to have to make a supreme effort to ration my visits to Liberty City, otherwise it could be verrry quiet around these parts for a few weeks.......

1 comment:

Solcofn said...

loving the game so far....only 50% of the way through it!