Tuesday 8 April 2008

Something About Nothing

A friend raised the question the other week as to whether modern man can survive without the internet. My initial reaction was yes, of course he can, but he probably wouldn't want to as we've all become somewhat addicted to our daily fix of email, myspace, MSN or any of a hundred million other distractions on the world wide web.

However, having just spent five days in the company of those nearest and dearest to me, mostly hanging out of the south coast, taking in the sea air and generally doing a whole bunch of not much at all, aside from ten minutes on the net yesterday to check my email, this is the first time I've been online for almost a week.

I can't say I've missed it. When it's part of my day to day routine it seems as natural as breathing, and almost as habitual. I log on, I check my mail, I check my Live Journal pages, I check the BBC news page, and on and on and on. I must admit I don't tend to surf aimlessly, just as I don't channel surf my television aimlessly (and in fact aside from when it's being used by my DVD player or Xbox 360 it's rarely on), so generally my online activity is over in fifteen minutes or so.

However, the lack of online action for the best part of the last week proved to me that I have no craving for the internet whatsoever. I can take it, which I frequently do, or leave it, but I know that the choice is mine. There's no niggling voice at the back of my head that resorts to panic if I can't get online.

The one thing I have missed is writing - I enjoy penning this little blog for whoever you are out there reading this, and also for my own satisfaction. It's cathartic, and although you may think that all this is just mindless drivel and inconsequence, it's my equivalent of detox from the world.

So, there you have it - another note from this asylum that I call my brain. Thanks for reading, and have a good day.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Spending time away rocked my.Boy. and without the technology was a breath of fresh air.