Friday 5 September 2008

A Not So Futile Exercise

I finally relented and caved in and bought a Wii for our household.

Against my will, of course, because I didn't want one at all, oh no, not me. I had no desire to play my favourite shooting game House Of The Dead on the Wii. Nope, not me. Never had the slightest interest in checking out the latest Resident Evil spin-off, The Umbrella Chronicles. You guessed it, not me.

Well, maybe I did. Well, OK then, I was looking for an excuse.

However, though I know House of the Dead would rock, and anything with the Resident Evil name on it draws me ike a moth to a flame, but the one thing I never in a million years thought I would have anything but a fleeting interest with is Wii Fit.

Yep, that balance board thing that allegedly gets you fit while having tons of fun. Not for me, that, uh-uh, no way. Or so I thought.

Last night we bust the thing out of its box at around 8pm and only called it a day just before midnight because I had to be up at my usual ungodlyhour to go to work.

But what fun! I never though that standing on a small board pretending to hula hoop and looking like a kid dancing at the special needs disco could be so entertaining (and we have the video evidence to prove it, not that any of you are ever going to see it!).

I skiied (slalom and jumping), I headed footballs, I moved some balls around into holes like some bizarre hybrid of Marble Madness and Spindizzy, and I even put the controller in my pocket (and yes, I am pleased to see you but really, it is a controller) and jogged, and it somehow knew what I was doing as my little Wii Mii (the avatar that looks scarily like me) followed my every move on screen.

I fear that Wii Fit means that my good work in avoiding all unneccesary exercise has come to an end as I feel the nagging pull of the damn thing, calling me back to have just one more go and try and walk the virtual tightrope across an urban chasm into which I have so far fallen every time I've attempted it.

Kudos to Nintendo for subtly reintroducing me, and many others judging by the similarities between Wii Fits and rocking horse manure in the shops, to the joys of exercise.

Well, now I'm a step closer to fitness, I feel the need to kill me some zombies. Pass the House of the Dead please.

No comments: