Tuesday 11 March 2008

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead

As Steve Miller once said in his classic Fly Like An Eagle song, time keeps on ticking, ticking, ticking into the future. And he's right.

Sometimes it ticks too damn fast, though, for my liking anyway. When I started this blog I set myself the goal of writing something at least once every two days, and I've almost achieved that on average, but again I find three days have elapsed between entries and it makes me think how briefly we're here.

There are so many things I want to do in my life, but even if I had all the money in the world, and therefore the maximum possible time available, not having to hold down a job just to keep a roof over my head and food in my belly, I still couldn't do it all.

I'm almost finished the first draft of my third book, and while I may write another thirty before I die, I still won't have said everything I want to say, or explored all the creative outlets available just through the medium of words.

On top of that, I love to read, and have a pile of books sitting here that I have yet to read, but really want to (and will), but to devote time to reading is to neglect my writing. Don't even get me started on the number of movies and albums that I want to watch or listen to!

However, I'm not complaining. My philosophy is that despite the fact that I'll never do everything I want to do, I'll make the most of and enjoy to the max those things that I am able to achieve.

It does annoy me, though, when I watch something like the House Of Wax remake as I did the other night. I knew going into it that it was going to be a classic two-beer, leave your brain at the door type movie, but what really pissed me off was it had flashes of inspiration and brilliance, but was exceuted all wrong. I know I could have done better with the script, and the casting - Paris Hilton couldn't act her way out of a paper bag if her life depended on it - and so I'm fired up to write my own horror movie, but the question is when? When?

Ah, well. Maybe one day. In the meantime it's back to the book as I'm closing in on my target of 100,000 words, and look set to go over that by a good margin the way I'm going.

The moral of all this? By all means be ambitious, shoot for the moon, and maybe you'll even get there, but always, always, take pleasure in the small achievements and the little victories.

Hey, maybe I should write a motivational book........ ;-)

1 comment:

Deborah said...

There never seems enough hours in the day to fulfil what you know deep inside you want to do.

Yet as always it the small things that can make you smile more.

D
xxx